Discover Healthcare Solutions Through Data Analysis
The Data Science in Computational Biology and Bioinformatics Graduate Certificate was created for professionals and students wanting to solve problems in health care and life sciences through the analysis of large data. The online program will teach students the technical skills of data analysis and biotechnology as well as how to apply those techniques within the areas of computational biology, pharmaceuticals, and genetics.
Why Earn an Online Bioinformatics Certificate?
Whether you are a tenured professional in bioinformatics and computational biology and or new to a career in data analysis, earning an advanced certificate will help you achieve your career goals.
- Accelerated Program: In just 12 months, you can earn your Data Science Graduate Certificate with the technical and data analysis skills you need to advance your career.
- 100% Online: All courses are offered in a convenient, flexible online format allowing you to earn your graduate certificate while balancing life’s other responsibilities.
- Affordable Alternative: Career-driven professionals seeking advanced education on a smaller budget are ideal candidates for a certificate.
- Transferable Credits: Should you decide to continue your advanced studies after completing your graduate certificate, all credit hours earned can be applied towards Lewis University’s online Master of Science in Data Science.
Career Opportunities in Computational Biology and Bioinformatics
Data science jobs are in high demand as companies continuously gather big data and identify trends to determine how to best serve their customers. Within the diverse field of data science lives computational biology and bioinformatics careers in areas such as:
- Database Administration
- Information Technology
- Life Sciences
Lewis’ graduate certificate program provides students with real-world experience and skills that are immediately applicable to their careers in data science.
The online graduate certificate is an 18-credit hour program that can be completed in just 12 months. The data science courses are led by faculty with years of hands-on experience in data visualization, data management, and applying big data to computational biology and bioinformatics. The courses include:
- Data Systems in the Life Sciences
- Data Visualization
- Introduction to Computational Biology
- Introduction to Data Mining and Analytics
- Mathematics for Data Scientists
- Statistical Programming
Student Learning Outcomes
Individuals who complete the graduate certificate program will gain the knowledge and technical skills to:
- Create software for analyzing large data sets
- Be real-world problem solvers in how best to use data to inform decision-making in computational biology and bioinformatics
- Evaluate possible solutions for data storage and encryption that meet prescribed performance and storage requirements
- Implement data management solutions related to computational biology and bioinformatics
- Identify trends within data sets
- Utilize big data sets
- Compare cloud-based solutions for storing large data sets in terms of performance, security, query mechanisms, software development, and cost
- Use innovative ways to utilize data for technical research
- Create and choose visualization approaches that most clearly depict the characteristics of the data that need to be communicated for a particular purpose
Who Should Apply?
Students who may be limited in time or finances that are required of a master’s degree now have an alternative option to further skillset and their career with Lewis University’s online Graduate Certificate in Data Science in Computational Biology and Bioinformatics.
Applicants for the program must meet the following admission requirements:
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education.
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Undergraduate mathematics coursework in calculus.
- International students are required to have a TOEFL test score greater than 550 (computer-based 213; Internet-based 79)
Get Your Future Started
Achieve a greater understanding of data analysis in healthcare and data science, with Lewis University’s online Data Science Graduate Certificate in Computational Biology and Bioinformatics. Call (866) 967-7046 to speak with a Graduate Admissions Counselor or request more information about receiving an advanced online education that will fit your lifestyle and your budget.