MS Information Security
Lewis University designated as a National Center of Academic Excellence
Meets the Committee on National Security Systems National Training Standards for Information Systems Security Professionals, Senior Systems Managers
Master of Science in Information Security
Gain immediate ROI with your cyber security expertise.
Advance your passion and knowledge for cyber security with Lewis University's online Master of Science in Information Security (MSIS). The online Information Security Master's program will build your experience in the IT field, giving you the technical skills needed to secure data and create innovative solutions to prevent future security breaches. The online MSIS program will provide an immediate ROI as you learn the cutting-edge skills that will position you for high profile roles. In addition, you'll gain access to a network of alumni that will benefit you throughout your career.
The online MSIS coursework was designed to offer an immediate return on your investment and ensures that professionals gain an understanding of the 10 key domains required to take the Certified Information Systems Security Professional exam, which is the gold standard for the information security industry. The National Security Agency (NSA) has also recognized Lewis University as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education.
Choose Your Own Security Path
Lewis University's online M.S. in Information Security program is a 35-credit-hour program that offers two unique, hands-on concentrations. Students have the opportunity to choose a track that is complementary to their career interests and goals.
- Management Concentration: This concentration focuses on identifying and mitigating information security risks faced by organizations, as well as strategies for planning and assessing projects, processes and systems for safeguarding an organization's data.
- Technical Concentration: This hands-on concentration examines how information systems can be monitored, investigated and made secure with courses on information processing systems, secure operating systems and applications, network security, cryptography, security protocols and other issues that confront those charged with securing information networks.
All graduates of the Information Security Master's program will be prepared to:
- Assess the risks an organization faces due to cyber threats, and recommend steps to take to combat those risks.
- Apply skills and knowledge to new but similar cyber security problems so that they can respond to new attacks as they evolve.
- Describe how cyber attacks against an organization can be monitored and investigated for actionable intelligence.
- Explain how symmetric and asymmetric encryption and authentication systems safeguard data, and recommend encryption and authentication systems suited to particular tasks and settings.
- Identify components of a modern information system and the threats that challenge their security.
- Recommend policies and procedures to comply with the legal and ethical responsibilities security professionals must meet.
- Specify tools and architectures to help secure information systems both proactively and reactively.
Depending on the electives a student chooses for his or her concentration, the student will be able to:
- Analyze digital security faults within database systems, operating systems and web applications.
- Detail how vulnerabilities are exploited in desktop and web applications and recommend changes to fix those vulnerabilities.
- Design and implement procedures and systems to protect an organization's heterogeneous mix of operating systems, wired networks, wireless networks and mobile platforms.
- Design communication systems to protect distributed networks such as critical infrastructures.
- Design policies that enable an organization to comply with governance frameworks and requirements in a measurable way.
- Monitor and investigate data usage on and attacks against various digital platforms.
- Perform comprehensive forensic analysis of an organization's IT infrastructure.
- Plan projects aimed at increasing an organization's security posture that minimize cost and provide maximum protection for the organization's most critical assets.
- Recommend strategies and technical choices to increase the security and privacy of cloud-based storage and computing.
- Recommend policies, procedures and tools that enable a business to continue its operations in the event of a breach.
Stay on the Cutting Edge and Advance Your Career
Gain the cutting-edge skills and knowledge needed to protect organizations against today and tomorrows digital threats:
Career Opportunities for Information Security Professionals
Lewis University's online M.S. in Information Security is ideal if you are looking for a career as a(n):
- Access Control Manager
- Business Security Analyst
- Computer Security Consultant
- Database/Web Administrator
- Information Systems Manager
- Internal IT Auditor
- IT Analyst
- IT Security Consultant/Compliance Administrator
- Manager of IT Security
- Network Engineer
- Network Forensic Analyst
- Security Analyst
- Security Engineer
- Software Engineer
These are only a few of the challenging and rewarding positions that professionals with this advanced knowledge of information and cyber security can hold.
Become a Cyber Security Expert
Gain the digital security skills that equate to career advancement with Lewis' online Master of Science in Information security degree program. Call (866) 967-7046 to speak with a Graduate Admissions Counselor or click here to request more information.
1 The Robert Half Technology 2013 Salary Guide