This course covers various topics, with areas of concentration on communications devices, protocols, standards, networking topologies, hardware, software, design, installation and setup, maintenance and security. The advantages, disadvantages and implementation issues of Microsoft Windows and Unix are explored.
- Distinguish among various kinds of networks and network topologies.
- Identify and describe the purpose of the seven layers of the OSI model, and explain why networks use it in shaping the content of packets.
- Explain key technical specifications associated with a variety of network protocols and services.
- Describe the function of various network devices.
- Explain the purpose of network domains, and describe how they are managed.
- Identify tools and technologies for monitoring and managing networks.
- Write network security policies, and explain how to monitor and enforce them.
- Identify technologies for backing up and recovering data.
- Describe approaches for providing remote access to system services.
- List the advantages and disadvantages of server virtualization, and list solutions for virtualizing aspects of a network.
Take the Next Step
Learn more about Lewis University's online programs. Call (866) 967-7046 to speak with a Graduate Admissions Counselor or click here to request more information.