Create Today's Enterprise-empowering Applications
The Software Engineering concentration in the MS in Computer Science (MSCS) program explores how to develop software for various platforms, including mobile devices and the web. You will design data storage systems that solve problems and incorporate security controls and protections throughout the software design and implementation process. You will learn to document and model software solutions for collaborative development, and you will learn industry-standard testing strategies for software function and security verification. Through these lessons, you will become a software developer who creates today's enterprise-empowering applications.
Software Engineering Courses
For the Software Engineering concentration, students will take 4 courses (12 credit hours) from the track plus 1 elective (3 credit hours) for a total of 15 credit hours. A sample of the online Software Engineering courses offered include:
- Computer Graphics
- Data Visualization
- Object-Oriented Design
- Pervasive Application Development
- Software Vulnerabilities and Defenses
Based on students’ interests, potential projects in this concentration will develop a wide variety of software applications for today’s most commonly used computing platforms, and they will use development, documentation, and testing techniques used throughout the industry by professional software developers.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the Software Engineering concentration in the MSCS program, students will be equipped to:
- Develop software for a wide variety of platforms and systems, including mobile devices and the web.
- Design data storage systems that meet the requirements of a given problem, including prescribing the hardware, software, and communication links that must comprise such systems.
- Incorporate security controls and protections as a pervasive component of software design and implementation.
- Based on problem requirements and prior research work in the field, design implement, document, and present a computer system for a particular application.
- Document and model software solutions so that all members of a software development team can collaborate in its development over time.
- Develop and follow testing strategies to verify the correctness and security of a software solution.
Shape the Science of Technology
To learn more about the online MS in Computer Science, call (866) 967-7046 to speak with a Graduate Admissions Counselor or click here to request more information.