Discover the Meaning Within Big Data
Lewis University's Master of Science in Data Science degree online is designed to provide you a heightened mathematical and computer science skillset to address the issues surrounding the analysis of big data. The field of data science uses mathematical theory and techniques from probability, statistics, linear algebra, and modeling, along with computer science concepts and skills in distributed storage, distributed processing, networks, security, human-machine interfaces, software development, and algorithms to develop software and systems that enable consumers of big data to identify critical data assets and interpret them. The field is inherently interdisciplinary, as the skills and concepts of data science are applied in the natural sciences, the social sciences, the humanities, healthcare, business, and education.
Lewis' Data Science masters online program provides you with skills in data mining, data visualization, predictive analysis, and data management. Upon graduating the program, you will be ready to discover the patterns within large quantities of data and implement solutions that provide such insights thanks to courses, such as:
- Concepts of Statistics
- Encryption and Authentication Systems Data Modeling
- Large-Scale Data Storage Systems
- Mathematics for Data Scientists
- Data Mining and Analytics
- Statistical Programming
Earn your masters from Lewis University and you can learn data science in a flexible, 100% online environment.
Become Fluent in Data Analysis
Lewis University's data science degree is an online, 36 credit hour program offering two unique concentrations:
- Computational Biology and Bioinformatics *: This concentration looks at data analysis from the perspective of biology and prepares students to develop solutions for computational biology and bioinformatics data management projects. Students will use data mining to design custom pharmaceuticals, track the spread of disease, and understand and apply genomic data. The courses will engage students in solving current problems in the healthcare industry that require the processing and presentation of large quantities of data. In addition, it will give students experience writing and presenting scholarly research in the form of a Master's thesis.
- Computer Science: This concentration approaches data analysis from a programming perspective and prepares students to create large-scale data storage systems that meet the requirements of a given problem, including prescribing the hardware, software, and communication links that must comprise such systems. The courses will immerse students in the design and development of computing projects that enable the processing, interpretation, and presentation of large data sets.
Each concentration is designed to ensure that you are able to fully leverage the skills immediately in your career.
Lewis also offers an online Graduate Certificate in Data Science in Computational Biology and Bioinformatics ** for professionals who desire a broad understanding of the field as it relates to healthcare. Earners of this certificate will be experts in the kinds of data and data systems used by healthcare providers to inform their policies, operations, and research.
Learn from Experts, Become an Expert
Accelerate Your Data Science Career
Who Should Apply?
- Undergraduate mathematics coursework in Calculus, so that the basic concepts of Calculus are somewhat familiar
- Undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale. In some cases, applicants with a GPA below 3.0 may be admitted on a conditional basis
- For international students, a TOEFL test score greater than 550 (computer-based 213; Internet-based 79)
Take the next step toward discovering the meaning behind data with Lewis University's Data Science Master’s program, available online and on-campus. Call (866) 967-7046 to speak with a Graduate Admissions Counselor, or click here to request more information.
*Formerly known as Concentration for Life Sciences.
** Formerly known as Data Science for the Life Sciences Certificate.