Discover the meaning within big data
Lewis University's online Master of Science in Data Science degree program is designed to provide you a heightened mathematical and computer science skillset to address the issues surrounding the analysis of big data. The field of data science uses mathematical theory and techniques from probability, statistics, linear algebra, and modeling, along with computer science concepts and skills in distributed storage, distributed processing, networks, security, human-machine interfaces, software development, and algorithms to develop software and systems that enable consumers of big data to identify critical data assets and interpret them. The field is inherently interdisciplinary, as the skills and concepts of data science are applied in the natural sciences, the social sciences, the humanities, healthcare, business, and education.
Lewis' online M.S. in Data Science provides you with skills in data mining, data visualization, predictive analysis, and data management. Upon graduating the program, you will be ready to discover the patterns within large quantities of data and implement solutions that provide such insights thanks to courses, such as:
- Concepts of Statistics
- Mathematics for Data Scientists
- Statistical Programming
- Encryption and Authentication Systems Data Modeling
- Large-Scale Data Storage Systems
Become Fluent in Data Analysis
Lewis University's online, 36 credit hour Master of Science in Data Science program offers two unique concentrations:
- Data Science for Computer Scientists: This concentration approaches data analysis from a programming perspective and prepares students to create large-scale data storage systems that meet the requirements of a given problem, including prescribing the hardware, software, and communication links that must comprise such systems. The courses will immerse students in the design and development of computing projects that enable the processing, interpretation, and presentation of large data sets.
- Data Science for Life Scientists: This concentration looks at data analysis from the perspective of biology and prepares students to develop solutions for life science data management projects. Students will use data mining to design custom pharmaceuticals, track the spread of disease, and understand and apply genomic data. The courses will engage students in solving current problems in the life sciences that require the processing and presentation of large quantities of data. In addition, it will give students experience writing and presenting scholarly research in the form of a Master's thesis.
Each concentration is designed to ensure that you are able to fully leverage the skills immediately in your career.
Lewis also offers an online Graduate Certificate in Data Science for the Life Sciences for professionals who desire a broad understanding of the field as it relates to healthcare. Earners of this certificate will be experts in the kinds of data and data systems used by healthcare providers to inform their policies, operations, and research.
Who Should Apply?
Lewis' online M.S. in Data Science is one of the most affordable degrees of its kind. Students will have the opportunity to leverage cutting-edge cloud computing resources and software suites, including Matlab, Maple, SPSS/R and Qlikview, and they'll get to write their own data analysis and visualization solutions in languages like Python and Java.
Lewis University's online M.S. in Data Science is ideal if you are looking for a career as a Business Strategist, Marketing Advisor, Financial Analyst, Data Scientist, Data Analyst, Health Care Analyst, Public Policy Strategist, Business Intelligence Director, and Big Data Solutions Provider. These are only a few of the challenging and rewarding positions that professionals with this advanced knowledge of data science can hold.
Applicants must meet the following admissions requirements:
- Undergraduate mathematics coursework in Calculus, so that the basic concepts of Calculus are somewhat familiar
- Undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale. In some cases, applicants with a GPA below 3.0 may be admitted on a conditional basis
- For international students, a TOEFL test score greater than 550 (computer-based 213; Internet-based 79)
Take the next step toward discovering the meaning behind data with Lewis University's online Master of Science in Data Science degree program. Call (866) 967-7046 to speak with a Graduate Admissions Counselor, or click here to request more information.