Discover the Versatility of Data Science
Lewis University’s online Graduate Certificate in Data Science program provides students with background and insight into the key mathematical and computer science issues involved in the analysis of big data sets. With this advanced education, professionals in nearly any industry can apply their unique skillset by collecting and interpreting large quantities of organizational data to develop effective solutions for distilling the information.
Why Choose Lewis’ Online Data Science Certificate?
Whether you are looking for a career change or to advance within your current organization, Lewis’ Data Science Certificate will help prepare you for the job opportunities you desire.
- Accelerated Program: In just 12 months, you can earn your Data Science Graduate Certificate with the technical and data analysis skills you need to advance your career.
- 100% Online: All courses are offered in a convenient, flexible online format allowing you to earn your graduate certificate while balancing life’s other responsibilities.
- Affordable Alternative: Career-driven professionals seeking advanced education on a smaller budget are ideal candidates for a certificate.
- Industry Versatility: Students can utilize their existing background and dynamic skills in data science across many domains including business, education, government, science and technology.
Should you decide to continue your advanced studies after completing your graduate certificate, all credit hours earned can be applied towards Lewis University’s online Master of Science in Data Science.
Career Opportunities in Data Science
Data science jobs are in high demand and will seemingly continue that trend into the future as they play at the center of a new renaissance. The certificate offers an inherent scientific and mathematical richness as well as an immediate application to diverse fields. Data has the potential to make a big and positive impact on society enabling everything from new discoveries in medicine to targeted recommendations of movies and books.
An online Graduate Certificate in Data Science is applicable to a variety of industries where data science professionals can expect salaries to range from $76,000 to $148,000* in careers such as:
- Business Intelligence Manager
- Business Systems Analyst
- Data Miner
- Data Scientist
- Financial Analyst
- Management Analyst
- Marketing Analyst
- Production Marketing Manager
- Risk Analyst
- Risk Manager
- Software Developer
- Solutions Architect
The online Graduate Certificate in Data Science is an 18-credit hour program that can be completed in as little as 12 months. With a scientific-focused curriculum, students will learn data science techniques and how to use them to solve problems related to applications using data from a variety of sources. The data science courses include:
- Mathematics for Data Scientists
- Introduction to Data Mining and Analytics
- Statistical Programming
- Data Visualization
- Large-Scale Data Storage Systems
- Machine Learning
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the online Data Science Graduate Certificate program, students will be equipped to:
- Apply the tools of calculus, linear algebra, optimization, probability and statistics to identify likely characteristics and trends buried in large data sets so that reasonable conclusions about the data may be drawn.
- Write software that implements the mathematical techniques required to extract meaning from large data sets, primarily using off-the-shelf mathematical software tools.
- Choose large-scale data storage solutions that meet prescribed performance and storage requirements.
- Develop appropriate querying mechanisms for asking questions about large data sets and obtaining answers of sufficient accuracy with reasonable investment of computing power.
- Apply clustering algorithms to characterize large data sets in terms of subsets with similar properties.
- Create and choose visualization approaches that clearly depict the characteristics of the data that need to be communicated for a particular purpose.
- Evaluate and compare cloud-based solutions for storing large data sets in terms of performance, security, query mechanisms, software development and cost.
- Choose appropriate data science techniques for solving problems in disciplines that produce accurate, timely insights from large quantities of data.
Who Should Apply?
Lewis University’s online Graduate Certificate in Data Science is an option for students who may be limited in time or finances for a master’s degree but still want to further their career by learning the essential skills and knowledge of data science to apply to their field. Applicants for the program must meet the following admission requirements:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education.
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Undergraduate mathematics coursework in calculus.
- International students are required to have a TOEFL test score greater than 550 (computer-based 213; Internet-based 79)
Take the Next Step
Earn an education that fits your budget and your lifestyle with Lewis University’s online Graduate Certificate in Data Science. Learn more about how you can take you career to the next level by calling (866) 967-7046 to speak with a Graduate Admissions Counselor or click here to request more information.
*Glassdoor. Retrieved June 20, 2016, from https://www.glassdoor.com/index.htm