Shape the Science of Technology
Are you ready to push the boundaries of computer science? Create future-shaping innovations with Lewis University's online Master of Science in Computer Science (MSCS). Through hands-on coursework, research and capstone experiences, you will learn advanced computing while honing your problem-solving, analytical and creative abilities. Gain highly valued tech knowledge and skills in this rapidly growing field, and get ready to shape tomorrow's technology in dramatic ways.
A High-Quality, Practical Degree
When you earn your MS in Computer Science from Lewis University, you receive a practical education that is customizable, market-relevant and immediately applicable to your career. In this fully online computer science degree, you will benefit from:
- Outcomes-based learning that allows you to gain in-depth knowledge and experience in developing enterprise-scale applications, database systems, security solutions and intelligent automated systems. View the full curriculum.1
- Personalized education that fits your career goals, with the option to choose a targeted concentration in Cyber Security, Intelligent Systems or Software Engineering.
- Research in computer science through a course that teaches you how to conduct independent scientific research in computing and ongoing course content throughout the curriculum that helps you improve your research skills. Through these experiences, you'll become an innovator who builds upon the rich culture of forward thinking that characterizes the computing field.
- Capstone thesis or project that results in a publication-worthy document or a computer systems project sponsored by an external organization. Your work will combine theory and practice and demonstrate to employers your abilities as an innovator and problem-solver.
- Experienced faculty who have tremendous industry experience and share their passion for computer science and the latest learning in a fast-changing field.
Student Learning Outcomes
In the MSCS core courses, you will learn how to:
- Apply, design and develop principles for constructing software systems to meet desired needs.
- Design, implement and evaluate a network-based distributed system, process, component or program.
- Employ theoretical frameworks for analyzing computational problems.
- Research and apply current state-of-the-art theories and methods related to computer science.
You can tailor your learning to your career goals by selecting one of the following concentrations:
- Cyber Security: Ranked a Top 20 Best Online Masters in Cyber Security in 2017, you'll learn how to identify, monitor and investigate organizational cyber-threats, as well as how to recommend steps and create responses to combat them. Become an expert in encryption and authentication systems, and learn how to design software and networks that mitigate cyber attacks. Gain the ability to specify tools and architectures that proactively and reactively secure information systems. Plus, learn to investigate the aftermath of cyber attacks using popular digital forensics tools, as well as tools you create yourself. A sample of the courses offered include: Digital Forensics, Enterprise Network Security and Encryption and Authentication.
- Intelligent Systems: Learn how to design and implement computing systems that perceive, act and learn. Use machine learning techniques to improve the performance of computer-based systems and create experience-based models for solving problems. Learn how to build systems that can collect and respond to various sensor measurements and how to design networks that communicate and coordinate responses to environmental signals. These are the technologies that power the Internet of Things. A sample of the courses offered include: Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning and Robotics.
- Software Engineering: Learn how to develop software for a variety of platforms and systems, including mobile devices and the web. Design data storage systems that solve problems, and incorporate security controls and protections throughout the software design and implementation process. Learn how to document and model software solutions to facilitate collaborative development and how to develop and follow testing strategies to verify a software solution's proper function and security. Become a software developer who creates today's enterprise-empowering applications. A sample of the courses offered include: Computer Graphics, Data Visualization and Pervasive Application Development.
The Skills to Shape Your Future
The online Masters in Computer Science prepares you for some of the best jobs in the industry. Many positions are poised for significant job growth in addition to offering high earning potential. Business Insider's ranking of jobs found that 13 of the 15 hottest tech jobs paying over $100,000 are in computer science.2
Who Should Apply?
Applicants for the MS in Computer Science must meet the following admissions requirements:
- Undergraduate degree from an accredited program in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, mathematics or information systems is preferred. Applicants without undergraduate coursework in computer science or a related field will take up to four courses (12 credit hours) to provide the required foundation to pursue advanced study.
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale. In some cases, applicants with a GPA below 3.0 may be admitted on a conditional basis.
- International students are required to have a TOEFL test score greater than 550 (computer-based 213; Internet-based 79).
Create Your Future in Computer Technology
To learn more about the online MS in Computer Science, call (866) 967-7046 to speak with a Graduate Admissions Counselor or click here to request more information.
1Depending on previous academic preparation, applicants may need to take up to 12 additional credit hours in Foundations courses for a total of 44 credit hours and potentially two additional semesters.
2Bort, J. (2015, May 8). The 15 hottest tech jobs that pay over $100,000. Business Insider. Retrieved from http://www.businessinsider.com/15-tech-jobs-that-pay-over-100000-2015-5?op=1