Below are a number of frequently asked questions about the online Master of Science in Computer Science (MSCS) program at Lewis University. If you have a question that is not listed below, call (866) 967-7046 to speak with a Graduate Admissions Counselor.
How quickly can I complete this degree program?
The MSCS program can be completed in as little as two years.
I am very interested in the Computer Science program, but I do not have a strong background in math. Can I still apply?
Yes. A bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, mathematics or information systems is preferred for this 32-credit hour program. However, students without the required undergraduate background in computer science or a related field can enter the program and complete four additional courses (13 credit hours) to gain the foundation needed for this advanced study program. View the full curriculum.
Which programming languages will be used in the program?
Do I need to take the GRE or GMAT to apply?
No, you are not required to take the GRE or GMAT to apply to the program.
What are the admission requirements?
To be accepted, candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university. A bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, mathematics or information systems is preferred. Applicants without undergraduate coursework in computer science or a related field will take up to four courses (13 credit hours) to provide the required foundation to pursue advanced study.
- Full admission requires 3.0 GPA or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- International students are required to have a TOEFL test score greater than 550 (computer-based 213; Internet-based 79).
In addition, applicants need to submit the following items during the application process:
- Completed application
- Official academic transcripts from all colleges attended
- Two-page statement of purpose
- A current resume
- Two letters of recommendation
- Application fee
Can I get accepted into the program if I don’t meet all of the admission requirements?
Under certain circumstances, students who do not meet one or more of the requirements for full admission may be admitted to the program with provisional status. This is most commonly offered to applicants who earned an undergraduate GPA of less than 3.0. Students granted provisional status will be considered for full admission after they have attempted nine credit hours in the program and earned a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0. Provisionally admitted students who have not attained a minimum GPA of 3.0 out of 4.0 after attempting nine credit hours of MSCS coursework will be dismissed from the program.
In what format are the online courses offered?
The courses are fully online and offered in 8-week sessions. The MSCS program is also offered on campus, and the courses follow an 8-week format as well.
How many courses should I plan to take each semester?
Most students typically take one or two courses per 8-week term, with most students taking three courses per semester.
Shape the Science of Technology
To learn more about the online MS in Computer Science, call (866) 967-7046 to speak with a Graduate Admissions Counselor or click here to request more information.