Discover the Meaning Within Big Data
Lewis University's online Master of Science in Data Science degree is designed to provide you with a heightened mathematical and computer science skillset to address the issues surrounding the analysis of big data. The field of data science uses mathematical theory and techniques from probability, statistics, linear algebra, and modeling, along with computer science concepts and skills in distributed storage, distributed processing, networks, security, human-machine interfaces, software development, and algorithms to develop software and systems that enable consumers of big data to identify critical data assets and interpret them. The field is inherently interdisciplinary, as the skills and concepts of data science are applied in the natural sciences, the social sciences, the humanities, healthcare, business, and education.
Lewis' online Data Science master's program provides you with skills in data mining, data visualization, predictive analysis, and data management. Upon graduating the program, you will be ready to discover the patterns within large quantities of data and implement solutions that provide insight thanks to courses such as:
- Machine Learning
- Statistical Programming
- Data Mining and Analytics
- Large-Scale Data Storage Systems
- Data Visualization
- Artificial Intelligence
- Natural Language Processing
Earn your master's from Lewis University and you can learn data science in a flexible, 100% online environment.
Qualify for the Nation's No. 1 Job
Earning your online M.S. in Data Science will qualify you for employment as a Data Scientist, the #1 job in America according to Glassdoor. This promising career path comes with a median base salary of $110,000 and has thousands of job openings nationwide.
Expertise in data science gives you both flexibility and opportunity. Big data analysis is used in almost every major field, from business and finance to government, healthcare, and countless others. More and more industries are realizing the value of data science and the importance of data-driven decision-making. Knowledgeable individuals who can harness that data is increasingly in demand.
Graduate equipped to be that individual. Lewis' Master's in Data Science provides you with the knowledge and skills you need to process massive amounts of data to discover patterns, relationships, and trends and ensures you are qualified to pursue one of the nation's most promising jobs.
Become an Expert in Data Analysis
The data science degree is an online, 33-credit-hour program offering two unique concentrations:
- Computational Biology and Bioinformatics*: This concentration looks at data analysis from the perspective of biology and prepares students to develop solutions for computational biology and bioinformatics data management projects. Students will use data mining to design custom pharmaceuticals, track the spread of disease, and understand and apply genomic data. The courses will engage students in solving current problems in the healthcare industry that require the processing and presentation of large quantities of data. In addition, it will give students experience in writing and presenting scholarly research in the form of a Master's thesis.
- Computer Science: This concentration approaches data analysis from a computational perspective and prepares students to create large-scale data storage systems that meet the requirements of a given problem, including prescribing the hardware, software, and communication links that must comprise such systems. The courses will immerse students in the design and development of computing projects that enable the processing, interpretation, and presentation of large data sets. Students will demonstrate and document their expertise in designing and implementing data analysis solutions in the form of a thesis or project.
Each concentration is designed to ensure that you are able to fully leverage the skills immediately in your career.
Lewis also offers an online Graduate Certificate in Data Science in Computational Biology and Bioinformatics** for professionals who desire a broad understanding of the field as it relates to healthcare. Earners of this certificate will be experts in the kinds of data and data systems used by healthcare providers to inform their policies, operations, and research.
Learn from Experts
Lewis University's online Data Science degree is delivered by highly-experienced faculty members who are leading experts in the field of data science. Our faculty emphasize real-world examples and practical skill building to help you immediately apply the data science skills you learned in the classroom to your career. The data science faculty at Lewis University bring decades of combined experience and have varied professional backgrounds in such areas as computational transportation science, applied predictive modeling, data visualization, critical infrastructure security, and artificial intelligence.
Discover how our faculty can prepare you for success.
Who Should Apply?
Lewis University's online Master's in Data Science can help you achieve your goals. Although interested students should have an aptitude for math, the program's foundation courses will provide you with the essential math knowledge and skills needed to become a data scientist. The program's balance between data science concepts and practical application can prepare students from all backgrounds to use data science tools in a professional setting. Students will have the opportunity to leverage cutting-edge cloud computing resources and software suites, including SAS, SPSS, R, Rapid Miner, or Weka, and will have the opportunity to develop their own data analysis and visualization solutions in languages like Python and Java.
The graduate Data Science program is ideal for those seeking roles like:
- Business strategist
- Marketing advisor
- Financial analyst
- Data scientist
- Data analyst
- Health care analyst
- Public policy strategist
- Business intelligence director
- Big data solutions provider
These are only a few of the challenging and rewarding positions that professionals with this advanced knowledge of data science can hold.
Applicants must meet the following admissions requirements:
- Undergraduate mathematics coursework in Calculus, so that the basic concepts of Calculus are somewhat familiar
- Undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale. In some cases, applicants with a GPA below 3.0 may be admitted on a conditional basis
- For international students, a TOEFL test score greater than 550 (computer-based 213; Internet-based 79)
Take the next step toward discovering the meaning behind data with Lewis University's online Data Science Master's program. Call (866) 967-7046 to speak with a Graduate Admissions Counselor, or request more information.
*Formerly known as Concentration for Life Sciences.
**Formerly known as Data Science for the Life Sciences Certificate.